Sunday, September 19, 2010

Gaviotas!


And browsing around, checking on a book I'm using this session in Environmental Lit, ENVS 272, online, I found an opportunity I couldn't pass by.

The book is Gaviotas, A Village to Reinvent the World, by Alan Weisman. The book describes a community build from scratch on the pampas/grasslands of Colombia. Not a utopian community, but one that pursues practical applications of how to live, including work on water production and solar energy devices. One accident in their struggle to provide for themselves, they imported pines to use for the resin, and seem to have grown a framework for a native rainforest to recover.

In any case, there's a trip for visitors over Thanksgiving. I'll have to skip one Biogeography class, and get someone to cover for me with two Evening classes on 11/23, and someone to take care of the dogs, and I'm kind of broke, but, I'm going.

Check out Friends of Gaviotas

bob

No comments:

Post a Comment